Name:
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Friday, February 03, 2006

What an Ethiopian Boy and a Personal Trainer Have in Common

It's Friday! I think I must finally be in a routine, because the weeks have started to fly by. Yesterday was my first day going to the tutoring program. The bad news is that my girl did not show up, so I'll have to wait until next week to meet her. But, the good news is that a father was there with his two boys, and I'm still not sure exactly how it went down, but I more or less ended up babysitting his 3 and 4 year old sons for an hour, along with two of the other tutors whose kids did not show up. It was challenging, because I'm used to speaking in Hebrew to people who know some English also, if I get stuck. This, however, was not the case with them! The nice part is that kids speak more slowly, and you don't have to say anything too deep. For me, the funniest part was that Lior wanted me to read him a story. I didn't really know how to read all of the words, or what exactly they said. He couldn't read either, but he knew when I pronounced a word incorrectly, and he was not shy about telling me the right way! I'm not sure who learned more yesterday afternoon, but I suspect it was me. After tutoring, I went to the gym, for my free introductory training session, where the nice training lady gives me a program and shows me the machines and all of that. While I had been speaking in English to the person at the desk that scheduled the appointment, she somehow decided to put me with a trainer that only spoke Hebrew. So that was fun, even though I felt bad that I had to ask Michal to repeat herself a lot. People talk about speaking in a language versus just thinking in a language, but I guess now I can say that I work out in Hebrew! I guess if after a few weeks my body starts looking really weird, then I must have misunderstood what she said. I'm off now to go on a cleaning up tour. There is a group that takes a different neighborhood in Jerusalem every week, to take English speakers on a tour, while at the same time leading a clean up effort. The neighborhood this week is Talpiot, which is where I stayed my first week here and where Pardes is located. Have a wonderful weekend, and while I don't even know who is in the superbowl, may the best commercial win!

3 Comments:

Blogger DOS said...

Aren't those children beautiful? The most moving experience I had in Israel was visiting the Ethiopian absorbtion center. The Temple group may have a chance to visit the center.

That would be Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Seattle Seahawks. Remember, you have not given up your US citizenship!

2/03/2006 07:53:00 AM  
Blogger MOS said...

Did you ever think you'd get to use your cleaning skills again so quickly? I have a feeling that Jessica Simpson putting pizza nuggets in a teen boy's mouth will probably win. If you know "left" and "right" in Hebrew, is that enough to get started?

2/03/2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Auntie Anne said...

Aunie was hoping you would take up spinning and I could figure out what it is in context.

2/03/2006 08:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home