Name:
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sara Has an Address!

I don't know the zip...but it's a start! Deborah and I found an apartment from a former student at Pardes. It's basically perfect :-) It's in Baka, a cool neighborhood less than 15 min from Pardes, and less than 10 from Emek Refai'im, the street with all the cafes and some nice restaurants and stuff. It's off of a street called Derech Beit Lechem, which has lots of tiny stores. It has a very residential feel, but is so close to busy places, so it's the best of both worlds. Right on the corner is a fruit stand, with a makolet (tiny market) across the street and another fruit stand across the street. You can smell the strawberries and oranges and everything when you walk by, it's wonderful! The apartment itself has a nice sized kitchen, living room, bed room, bathroom and foyer. We are sharing the bedroom. It really is big, and this way we have a room for tv, studying, guests, etc. The apartment is fully furnished, with linens, towels, dishes, cable, internet and all that. We don't have a solar power water heater, so that add some expense. Basically, when we want to take a shower, we have to turn on the water heater about 1/2 an hour before. There's no central heating, which is also normal for Israel, so we have two space heaters. It will take some getting used to, but it's nice to try and be more energy efficient. And we have a washer and a clothesline, which I think is great! I received a lovely complement today, while I was at the mall looking for a phone card. An American man came up to me and asked me if I spoke English. I said yes, and he asked me where the movie theater was. I answered that I wasn't sure, and he thanked me anyway, and then said, "Your English is really good!" I thought he was kidding at first, because he could tell I was American, but I really don't think he was! We are going on a trip to a kibbutz this weekend, stopping for a hike on the way. It will be nice to see some different parts of Israel. It's hard to find other time to travel here, so it's nice when they build it into the program. I'll definitely take pictures this weekend and of my new place so you all can see! I'm going to get some rest before the trip, but have a great weekend everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger MOS said...

Sounds great! We will all rest easier knowing you now have a snail mail address. Enjoy your weekend. Lots of love.

1/19/2006 08:01:00 PM  
Blogger julie said...

wow that IS a wonderful complement! and that apartment sounds great...oh, saving energy... :) -julie

1/20/2006 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger sos said...

Sara you should feel very loved, everyone is asking about you! I expected questions from family and friends, but I'm talking the dentist and ladies at Curves that I don't even know! Glad you found a place, eat some fruit for me!

1/20/2006 04:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home