Name:
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Locked Out but Well Fed

I hope everyone is having a nice Sunday, if you are reading this and it is still Sunday. Because here, it is Sunday, and Israel's Sunday is a work day (our Monday) and I miss watching Best Week Ever in my pajamas and doing the crossword! Today will be a busy day - I am taking the Hebrew exam for HUC (rabbinical school) and Pardes is having an orientation, where I will get to meet the other new students and fun things like that. My first Shabbat in Jerusalem did not disappoint. It didn't begin on the greatest of notes, but it rose above! On Friday during the day, I met up with a friend of a friend Deborah, who also graduated early to come to Pardes to study. We were comparing apartment search notes and things like that in a cafe on Emek Refaiim, the cool street of restaurants and cafes for the 20-30 year old crowd. I still take the long, easy routes to places, because I would rather walk longer and not get lost, so it took me 1/2 hour get there when it is really 15-20 minutes. I didn't leave until close to 3, and had to be back in that area at 4:30 for services, which start shortly after candlelighting, regardless of what time that might be during the year as it changes. Anyhow, I was in a huge rush, so I power-walked to the apartment and was locked out! In Israeli homes, if you leave your keys in the door in the inside, which you need to do to lock the door when you come in, then a key doesn't work from the outside. I knocked an all of that, but somehow they didn't hear, so I couldn't get ready for Shabbat. I was a little steamed! I called Deborah, and she took me in and gave me clothes, but it was not the best situation. We met another new Pardes student, Rachel, at services, which was a congregation called Shir Chadash. The service was nice, the women sang as loudly as the men, which is hard to find. A fuse blew just as we were leaving, and because it was Shabbat, no one could fix it. Apparently in Jewish law, although I don't see how, it is ok to ask a non-Jewish person to do this for you, so the rabbi went out to find an Arab cab driver. It seems embarrassing to me, but perhaps I don't take Shabbat seriously enough. A Pardes student name Abbi hosted Rachel, Deborah and I for dinner. Abbi has her PhD from Cambridge, on the topic of Contemporary North American Yiddish Song Lyrics. Huh indeed. She's British, not even from North America! Anyway, for such an esoteric (I used it, Julie) topic, she's down to earth and a lot of fun. Other attendees were a student from Poland, from the Czech Republic, and from somewhere in the US where she had a chance to become friends with people I know from Hillel! Small world, which I am reminded of here every day, because it seems like everyone knows everyone! More about Shabbat in the next entry. Thank you to everyone who has emailed me or posted replies, it means so much that you are reading and giving me feedback. You will all be happy to hear that the people in the doggie apartment have decided to rent the room out to people short term, so I will not be living there :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger MOS said...

Good luck with the test. I guess by the time you've read this it will be a history test.

1/15/2006 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger julie said...

sara, i miss you so much, but i send my ethno people to keep an eye on you! i have also been spreading "perpetuee" oh will we ever find others who love words like we do? we ARE an esoteric bunch. love you, hope the hebrew went well, i'd love to hear what page out of red book they copied for you...? :) love, love

1/15/2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger DOS said...

I don't get it. Whose door were you locked out of? Will this happen often? I was only kidding about sleeping on steam grates. I told Rabbi Steve and he said that you are an Israeli now! I am glad that others are so accomodating over there. If things go the way they should there would be not opportunity for good stories.

1/15/2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger ADDeRabbi said...

how's this for contemporary North American Yiddish songs? You can show this to your friend:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2038709393029614944&q=gelt

1/15/2006 09:31:00 PM  
Blogger Auntie Anne said...

re: North American Yiddish Songs,
Joelle says how about Gwen Stefani's rendition of "If I were a rich man(girl)"
Not to be overly concerned but since you haven't gone to the dogs where are you going to live? Also what do non smoking modern day young bohemiens do at outdoor hip cafes, sip lattes?

1/16/2006 03:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home