Name:
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I'm Homefree!

Well at least it sounds more positive when I say it like that. The search continues. I found a cool place last night, furnished and in a great location, in a two bedroom apartment, the other room being occupied by a middle-aged, recently divorced man...but darn it the kitchen wasn't exactly kosher, so I'm just not sure it would work. Fortunately, we have a few more leads. I had a fun conversation with one potential landlord. I was speaking to him in Hebrew, which he could somewhat understand, because let's face it, I can only somewhat speak, so he kept asking me to speak in English. When I did, however, he couldn't understand me at all! He asked where I was from, and I told him I was American, and he didn't believe me, because he apparently he can understand American English, but not mine! He wanted to know where in the US, so I told him near Washington, but he didn't recognize Washington DC. I tried to say the capital, and where the president lives, but no dice. Did I mention that he had a severe stuttering issue? Good times. The people in the apartment now aren't moving out quite yet, so he'll call me when the time is closer. I went to the psych evaluation today. It was weird being the person that I've learned about in so many of my classes! I got to do all sorts of things...remember sequences of numbers, make up stories based on pictures, replicate drawings using blocks, ink blot tests, and the MMPI, where you answer approximately 560 true-false questions that range from "I feel confident" to "I know that people are plotting against me." Now I don't know exactly what to make of this, but after one of the sections, the psychologist did ask, "Was this test difficult for you?" Uh...does that go in the category of things you never want to hear after a psychological evaluation? Hmm... If I was at all crazy when I got to the interview, it would most likely be due to the bus ride I took to get there. In Israel, they don't sweat things like the safe placement of people in moving vehicles. I personally was standing directly next to the driver, which I suppose gave me a nice view of the traffic and honking cars, but behind me were people still on the stairs! As long as the door shuts, they are on the move. With all of it's craziness, the bus routes seem to be thorough, and are useful when a place is too far to realistically walk. I hope that everyone is having a pleasant January. Let me know if you get some good snow!

4 Comments:

Blogger heyitsLeah said...

hello! I finally checked my e-mail now that im back at school and im forced to look at my computer again. Super blog though, great idea! My mom had heard about it too so i just sent her a link. Im glad you're doing well and just incast you were still wondering...doritos really did change their packaging, it wasnt just a strange 5 & below variety we found.

1/17/2006 05:31:00 PM  
Blogger Auntie Anne said...

middle-aged,recently divorced man, I'd go with the dogs. Anyway do you have a fellow student apartment hunting with you?

1/17/2006 07:50:00 PM  
Blogger DOS said...

OK, how do we relate the test to the life of a rabbi? Number sequence = gamatria (sp?), ink blots = commentary/responsa? Made up stories, thats obvious.

I know that doctors make the worst patients and auditors the worst testees. I am guessing that the same does not hold true for psych majors.

1/18/2006 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger esotheorist said...

hi this sounds like fun..

1/19/2006 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home